Friday, June 7, 2013

In the rain

Oh the adventures the day to day provide.

I am currently in my study, posted up on the futon with Lana Del Ray radio humming from my computer speakers. 

"Kiss me hard before you go.... I've got that summer time, summer time sadness,"


It's nearly impossible for me to get comfortable because of the ever present pain in my right thigh, neck, and shoulder. Why might you ask? Well because after our on location shoot in Northampton, MA a group of friends and myself decided to go go-karting. 30 minutes later I'm stationary in the track after slamming into one of the walls at 35mph to avoid a collision. Thank god for helmets, neck braces, and seat belts. I ended up being fine apart from the whiplash and seatbelt burn.

Today we uploaded and turned in our shoot from yesterday, apart from that there isn't much else exciting to share about my school day. It was cold, gray, and rainy here in Mass. Everyone was ready to go home and I was irrationally emotional upon waking this morning to begin with. However, when I got home a second wind hit me and all I wanted to do was go shoot in the rain.


There happens to be these two intersecting mountains that I pass maybe once or twice a week when I'm headed towards Amherst that I have developed a visual love affair with. Infront of them stretching from the road almost a mile back towards the mountain is an open horse ranch. It fascinates me because you would be hard-pressed to find anything not tucked away into trees. But there it was, a little slice of heaven cleared in the middle of no where. I decided that this was exactly what I was craving; grabbed my Mark III, tripod and took off in the Cavalier by myself for once. 

Of course there is a story to go with this as well. When I approach these mountains I've come to know so well, I see that right before the ranch there is an "excavation site", so I decided to park there to shoot. There I am in my thrifted lace up boots, skinnys and a flannel in the pouring rain; I have my camera inside of a plastic grocery bag on my tripod, with a hole for the lens. I'm climbing dirt mounds trying to get the shot that I want and getting soaked.

It was glorious.

After I wrap up my shoot I realize that I do not have my brand new Versace eye glasses that I came with.

I breathe, and start looking.

I climb up and down this 20 ft mound of mud searching and searching. Finally, digging through the brush, there they are in their crushed glory. Fear not, because they cost only $25 to replace. I climb back into my car absolutely caked in mud and rocks, with a stupid smile on my face. 

Soon I was back at my apartment and sunk nose deep into a long bubble bath to sooth my aching body. I needed the fresh air, I needed the rain, I needed the suds. 

I feel good.

I will now head over to a classmates to enjoy some dinner and maybe a movie. 

Life is pretty ok.


© Emily Rose Darrow

© Emily Rose Darrow


No comments:

Post a Comment