Monday, April 8, 2013

New beginnings

Ah, the title might be cliche but the statement is true to the facts.

Last week I made an announcement on my Facebook page that I will be OFFICIALLY transferring to Hallmark Institute of Photography... the big surprise? The big move to Turners Falls, MA will be in just five short weeks. Let me lend some explanation as to why I chose to leave so soon as opposed to in September.

Hallmark's May class is a brand new program- in the past the past they have only offered September and January sessions. Because the program is so new and they are trying to encourage more students to enroll, they are offering a $20,000 to all students that are accepted into the May session. So here I am talking to my college admissions advisor, Kim Kellen (whom is an absolute doll might I add), realizing that I could be saving money in debt that could equal out to ten years of my life. How do you pass that up? After the great difficulty of convincing my parents that this was a good idea, we are locked in and in action.

One of the more outstanding issues when it came to the move was the timing. You see, I finish classes at Columbia May 17th.... anddd classes at Hallmark start May 20th. How is this possible might you ask? Well when there is a five figure incentive on the table, you make the impossible possible. Over the last week I have gone through the process of asking my Columbia professors what I need to do in order to miss my last class of the semester in each of their classes, and I have been approved. This means I will be leaving Columbia the weekend of May 10th and on my way to Mass by the following weekend. Crazy? Terrifying? Exciting? Yes.

On a personal note... the hardest thing for me is not the mood or the new environment but rather the hearts I will have to part from. It will not be a hug, and pang of the heart, a "see you in a few weeks". I will be gone for ten months and probably will only return home twice in that span of time. First I will leave Columbia; hugging and holding on to my last moments with phenomenal friends like Monica Schmidt, Allie Okean, Quincy Jones, and Linda Biafore. Then I will have less than a week in Michigan  to say goodbye for a second time to life long and hometown friends like McKenzie Goff, Nina Smith, Allison Viera, Brittany Stalker and so many others. This might be me being dramatic or full of emotional mush, but human relationships mean everything to me. Don't even get me started on the dread I have when I think of my parents driving away. 10 hours sounds like life times while my heart attempts to process the reality of being so far away.

On the contrary, I have no regrets. I am so excited to take this next step in my career. How crazy that I will be graduated and done with my higher adult education in February 2014!? A professional at 19... goodness. The real world creeps up on you. Hallmark has so much to offer, not to mention the beautiful area in which I will be residing in. One hour from boston and three from New York, where my friend Monica will be in the Fall! Goodbyes are never forever, I know that. We all cross paths in the most exciting times in our lives. Constantly changing and advancing.

Below I am including the Hallmark YouTube link to videos of the school that give some idea of that amazing education and experience I will be a part of. I hope everyone is as excited to see the work I bring out of Hallmark as I am!

-Emily Rose

Hallmark YouTube Page

No comments:

Post a Comment